Ph.D. in Structural Geology
2016-2021, University of S. California
My major research project focused on the geometrical and rheological characteristics of the Simplon Shear Zone in the Swiss/Italian Alps, and how these vary with depth in the crust and evolution of the fault zone. Additional projects include investigating the timing and structural controls of a gold deposit in SE California, and exploring strain localization processes in a ~10 km wide syn-magmatic shear zone in NW Argentina.
M.Sc. cum Laude in Economic Geology
2013-2016, Stellenbosch University
My thesis, entitled The origin of the Swartberg Cu-Pb-Zn-Ag deposit, Northern Cape, South Africa, was completed part-time while I was employed by Black Mountain Mining (Pty) Ltd.
Honours cum Laude in Applied Geology
2011, Stellenbosch University
B.Sc. cum Laude in Earth Science
2008-2010, Stellenbosch University
Consulting Exploration Geologist
2021/05 – ongoing, independent
I have generated shear-hosted gold exploration targets in the SW United States, based on geological mapping, structural analysis, and a compilation of geophysical surveys and historical drillhole and other data.
Using Leapfrog, I created a 3D model of the gold mineralization, and a 3D geological model of the structurally complex host rocks.
2013/08 – 2016/05, Vedanta Resources
Being involved in the establishment of a new, small exploration division exposed me to a wide range of tasks.
Areas of responsibility included geological mapping, planning and managing drill projects, data visualization and management, SHEC and administrative/logistical tasks, and brownfields project management.
2012/03-2013/08, Black Mountain Mining
In my first year I completed a Graduate Development Program, introducing me to grade control, underground mapping, core logging, sampling, QAQC, use of a Niton XRF analyser, resource estimation, and the JORC & SAMREC codes. I also completed the general mine induction, level 1 First Aid and underground driving license, as well as several short courses in management, risk identification and assessment, and motivational leadership.
Responsibilities included underground grade control, geological and geotechnical mapping, lithological and geotechnical core, sampling, and construction and interpretation of lithological and “contained-value” plans and sections.
2008-2010, Black Mountain Mining
As a bursary holder, I was required to complete one to two months of work at Black Mountain Mine each year.
During this time, I undertook several projects, including an investigation into the deflection of underground drill holes; a study of the spatial relationship between garnet quartzite and iron formation in a Broken Hill-type deposit; and a statistical investigation of geochemical trends in the same deposit.
Training courses & workshops:
- 2019 – “Orogenic Gold in African and Worldwide”, presented by SEG at UCT, South Africa.
- 2018 – “Image Analysis in Geosciences”, presented by Renée Heilbronner and Matĕj Peč at MIT, USA.
- 2015 – “Exploration Drill Site Safety” presented by Colin Rice, Rosebank, South Africa.
- 2015 – “Maxwell Datashed, QAQCr & Logchief” training, presented by Maxwell, Sandton, South Africa.
- 2014 – Aeromagnetics interpretation workshop, presented by Leigh Rankin in Sandton, South Africa.
- 2014 – “Introduction to Micromine” course, presented by Micromine in Sandton, South Africa.
- 2014 – “Introduction to Vulcan” course, presented by Maptek on-site at Aggeneys, South Africa.
- 2013 – “Introduction to ArcGIS desktop for mining geoscience” course, by Esri in Midrand, South Africa.
- 2013 – “Applied structural geology in exploration and mining” workshop, given by SRK in Uppsala, Sweden.
Awards, Fellowships & Grants:
- 2019 – Awarded a USC Research Enhancement fellowship, which includes a one-year fellowship and additional funding for research.
- 2019 – Awarded an AGeS2 grant to conduct Re-Os geochronology on sulfides associated with gold mineralization, at the Yale Metal Geochemistry Center.
- 2019 – Awarded a GSA research grant to conduct additional fieldwork and Qemscan phase mapping of samples from the Oro Cruz gold deposit, SE California.
- 2018 – Awarded the Corstorphine Medal by the Geological Society of South Africa (GSSA) for my M.Sc. thesis, which recognizes a thesis of “outstanding merit and international best standard”.
- 2012 – Awarded the Haughton Award by the GSSA, which recognizes the best Honours project produced by a geology student at a South African university in the previous year.
- 2011 – Achieved first place in the PetroSA-Söghne Awards, a geological general knowledge competition between the Honours students of Stellenbosch University, University of Cape Town, and University of the Western Cape.
Teaching & Mentoring Experience:
2011, 2017, 2018, S. Africa, Argentina, Spain
I have instructed and mentored undergraduate students on several local and international field courses.
Mentoring of undergraduate researchers
2017-2018, University of S. California
I have guided two students as they conducted independent research for course credit or final year theses.
2009-2011, 2016, 2017, various
I have run and assisted with lab sessions, and administered and graded tests and reports, for courses in engineering geology, introduction to earth science, 1st year mathematics, 1st year computer literacy, 2nd year mineralogy and optical mineralogy, and 3rd year metamorphic petrology.